Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Hospital Visit

We just came back after making an unexpected trip to the doctor's office. Gavin decided to do some gymnastics off of the back of the couch and flipped over and landed his head on the radiator!(ouch!!) There was blood everywhere so we assessed the situation and decided that we should take him to the hospital.
We arrived at Emergency. Gavin and I went in to check in while Scott parked the van. I walked in and told the nurse about Gavin and she sent us back to the medical clinic (our doctor's office)! There weren't any doctors in the hospital. She didn't even assess Gavin! I was choked!
"You mean to tell me we are in a HOSPITAL and there aren't any doctors here?" I asked.
"Yep!"she answered.
I don't blame the nurse for the doctor not being there. Her attitude wasn't great, but still she might have been having a bad day. My problem is she didn't take 1 minute to look at the back of his head!
We arrived at the doctor's office and we had to see an on call doctor. After seeing Gavin it was determined he needed 2 stitches. We all decided that this was going to be tricky. The plan was in gear. I was to stay out of the room and Scott, with the help of the nurse, would hold him down. I waited patiently waited outside the room. I was cringing my nose and felt my heartbeat quicken. "My poor baby!" I thought to myself. I waited for the screams...the cries...the sound of pure, agonizing pain.
5 minutes later the door opened and everyone came out.
"I bet they couldn't do it!" I thought.
"He was a champ!" the doctor said.
"Not a peep. Needle in the head, not a peep!" said his daddy.
He managed to get his stitches (only 2) without making a sound. I am very proud of my little rugrat!
The doctor informed us that the emergency nurses are supposed to assess the situation before sending a patient away....
Have a great day!
Jenny

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Ouch!! Heads bleed...alot!!! Its actually really scary as to how much blood can come out of a small cut on the head. Happened with Syd, she got her head glued shut instead of stitched, she slipped and hit her head on a metal shelf in the mall. We had a whole crowd of "spectators" watching as the entire back of her shirt became red with blood. Its scary isn't it? Glad though, that it wasn't as serious as it may have looked and what a tough boy to not even wince while getting stitched up. Way to go Gavin!!

Crystal said...

Wow I am sure glad your little guy is ok......I hate those head wounds they bleed like unbelievable!

patti said...

oh poor little guy...my little brother split his head open twice and my husband has fair share of head wounds as well.

Janelle said...

i WORK for the health care system & they even are ticking ME off! what good is a hospital if they can't help people. Unbelievable.
Glad you're ok Gavin! Way to be brave!

 
Designed by Lena