Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The Golden Bottle


My husband is a fan of The Tour de France and of Lance Armstrong. I believe I mentioned this fact in a prior post. During the Tour I went to the Online Tour de France store to browse the merchandise. Scott joined me and immediately wanted a Tour de France water bottle for his road bike. The price seemed reasonable (with the exchange rate) so we ordered two. The other day I was checking my credit card statement online and noticed a $49.00 charge from a store in France. I was a little outraged! $25.00 a piece for a water bottle!! My word. Oh well, I thought it is a little souvenir, no need to get stressed out. Until today....I received a call from FedEx and I needed to pay duty on my items that had just entered the country...$25.00!!
"You're joking..."I began to the FedEx operator, "for Water bottles?"
"No I am serious, now how are you going to pay for the duty?" she curtly demanded.
"What if I decided that's an awful lot of money to pay for WATER BOTTLES? Can I say 'screw it' and send them back?" I asked.
"You most certainly can send them back; however, you still will be required to pay the duty on the items!" I am sure she was smiling as she relayed this information to me.
"Okay, here's the information..."
When Scott came home I told him of the expensive water bottles. I was ripped!
"Well, it seems to me we only ordered one, because you thought it would have been too much money for two!" Scott replied.
Now I feel really stupid!!
"Well my dear, you know you can't drink out of this water bottle. I'm gonna make a shadow box and frame it with an inscription of 'they saw me coming' added to the bottom of the bottle!"I sarcastically added.
Like I have said I am soon to be the owner of "the Golden Bottle". Maybe I can put it on Ebay and recuperate some of the costs. Probably not!
Gavin awoke from his daytime nap with cheeks the size of a bloated chipmunk. It looks like he got bitten by a spider. I had to give him some Benadryl to get rid of the swelling. Poor little guy!
We didn't do too much of anything today. The boys and I went out for lunch with Auntie Shari. I did some housework, worked out on the Elliptical (without any interruptions!!) and watched a couple of TV shows. A pretty good "do nothing kind of day".
Currently we are experiencing a moderate to heavy rainfall. I hope the weather is better tomorrow.
Scott and his buddy went fishing after work. They are still on the fish for the elusive Sockeye. I hope he catches one! They smoked all the salmon the other night and it turned out wonderful. We ate smoked salmon for two days in a row. The first night we had a smoked salmon salad, and the second we had a smoked salmon casserole. Needless to say, eventhough I love smoked salmon, I need to take a few days break from this entree.
I have nothing else newsworthy to add.
I leave you with this thought for the day:
"Money often costs too much."-Ralph Waldo Emerson.
So do water bottles from overseas!
Enjoy your day!
Jenny

2 comments:

Nancy said...

My hub is an bicycle riding man and loves it. We have I believe five of his bikes hanging in the garage as I write this! Oh, and a Bike Friday. It is a folding bike that fits into a suitcase. He has taken it to Tahiti and to NY a couple of times. I wish he had one the year we went to Italy.

He went ahead of the kids and me by a week. He rode his bike with other enthusiasts in the mountains there. The bike was a nightmare to haul around, so we had to get a big van to drive to the places we wanted to go. Not to mention the airport and this massive box with a full sized upright bike in it! UGH.

He too is a Lance fan. We tivo'd the tour de France, but I told him we could not do it daily for five hours, or it would delete all my programs yet to be seen from ending shows and the season in June! So, he told me to just tape the two hour replay later in the day. I agreed, but if he didn't watch it that night, I deleted it the next day! It as old news.

As for your expensive water bottles, you may have something there. It was his seventh win. Nobody has ever done that. Not to mention, Lance's final Tour de France. So, you may in fact have a couple of collector's items on your hands. He will probably be back as a TV commentator next year, but never as the king of the Tour de France!

It was one thing for him to tie the all time record last year, but to set a new record and be his final appearance in the yellow jersey, you could probably at least check out what eBaby is selling water bottles for, or I like the shadow box idea too! LOL

Hope your spider bitten child is feeling better. Thanks for visiting my blog. I like yours as well..

Jenny said...

I usually don't post on my own blog, but to the first post, I have enough spice in my life thank you very much.

 
Designed by Lena