Saturday, July 30, 2005

Six Feet Under

My husband and his buddy began the process of smoking all of their newly acquired fish. After dropping Scott off at Al's place Seamus asked whether Grampa Ross was ever going back to work.
"Why?" I asked.
"I heard he's at a retirement party!"said Seamus.
"Oh, you're right he's at a friend's retirement party!" I answered.
"Mommy,"Jonas began, "I don't want Grampa to retire!"
"Why Josey?"
"When you retire don't they dig a hole in the ground and put you in a box in the hole in the ground?!" he answered frightfully.
"No Jose, when you retire it means you stop working!" I didn't really want to open up the whole funeral conversation.
"Oh, well... that makes more sense. I couldn't figure out why Grampa was so excited about retiring?" he sighed.
As usual my children made me smile as I reflected upon this conversation.
If anyone notices I am up at an early time. I have been up since 3:05 am. Gavin had a meltdown this (early) morning. He peed all over his "bankie" and then he wanted to watch a "moodie". I decided after awhile to watch "Cat-Hat" (Cat in the Hat) with him. It was only at 5:45 am that I realized I should have put the blanket in the wash. (Obviously 3 am was to early to have any rational thinking) The whole forest awoke and the sounds of the squirrels (Mr and Mrs. Chippy as our family calls them) and the birds were a little to lively and chirpy for my liking. Needless to say, I decided to wake up and start the day at 5:45 am. Quite unusual for me.
I think the lesson of this evening, or rather morning, would be to have a replacement blanket for Gavin. Of course we have a variety of blankets, but this particular blanket is his favourite. A lesson well learned!
This weekend our town is having its annual festival called "Riverboat Days". Scott is off this weekend so we are going to take in a lot of the festivities. There is a parade at 11 am. I just hope that Gavin's(or his mommy's) sleep schedule isn't too mixed up! They are also having a motorcycle stunt exhibition. We are really excited to watch the motorcyclists do the jumps and stunts. Apparently one of the riders who is performing won the Nationals. Scott looked at me like I was an idiot when I didn't know who this guy (can't remember his name) was. All 3 (4 including my hunny) are really excited to see the stunts.
Besides the meltdown of my two year old nothing else is newsworthy. I cannot even give a daily weather report, because I really cannot tell what the day is like. At this time (6:32 am) it is brisk.
I leave you with this thought for the day:
"When there's a favourite of anything, have an heir and a spare!"- Jenny (thought of this revelation at 3:10 am)
Enjoy your day!
Jenny

2 comments:

Karen Schmautz said...

Ya know...I was going to tell you to treasure these days because they are short lived, but then I remembered the many times I've been up early like that either worrying about my oldest not being home, or worrying that he won't get up in time for work (he works at Starbucks and they make him get there at 4:15 if he is opening...that means he has to leave here at 3:45.) I don't mind too much because I am an early riser...usually 5:00 a.m.

Tanya said...

I did it, first time, check it out!! Take care my friend.

 
Designed by Lena