Thursday, July 28, 2005

Stop, Look and Listen!

My parents are characters. There are no other words to describe the two of them. They are also two people that are completely matched for each other.
A couple of nights ago Scott, the boys and I went to "Walmart" to get our semi-weekly purchases. On the way home we decided we "needed" our daily fix of "Tim Horton's" X-large double cream coffee. As we went through the drive through, lo and behold Grampa and Gramma Donna were in the truck in front of us. I honked as the kids cheered and Grampa scowled and gave us the finger!! Swear to goodness...at this point my mother realizing it was us behind them, slapped his arm and began to give him crap.
When we got home it was only a few moments before mom and dad came over.
"Uh, sorry about the finger, "my dad began, "it's an automatic reflex when someone honks at me!"
"What if someone's honking to say hi?" I questionned.
"Never had that happened til tonight!"
I guess we taught him a lesson. Look both ways before you give someone the bird!
I purchased myself an Elliptical trainer through the bargain finder. I have been looking for sometime, but couldn't rationalize spending that kind of money on myself. I found myself a good deal and have been using it daily. It is awesome. How convenient to work out in your own home....until last night.
Scott had taken the boys to see "Revenge of the Sith" (again). Our town is a little slow on the move for new movies. I put in a movie for Gavin to watch and timed my workout for "INXS: Rock Star" which I have become a fan of. (I can really imagine myself rocking out onstage!!)
Anyways I set my workout time for 30 minutes and began the workout. All was going well for the first 3.5 minutes and then I heard a knock on the door and in barged my parents.
"Brought some food we didn't want!" my dad yelled.
Then they disappeared to the kitchen with their bagful of groceries.
"What's that contraption you're on?" my dad questionned. (He seemed to forget that I showed him my Elliptical trainer the night before)
"An elliptical trainer." I responded.
"Oh...I see you must have it on an easy mode cuz you're really running" he added.
Now I was annoyed. Just because I am fat, doesn't mean I can't make my body move when I want it to!
And they watched me. Not 5 minutes, but the whole 26.5 minutes of my workout. My parents didn't converse with each other. Both stared and occasionally my dad would offer a little commentary.
At 16 minutes into my workout my dad piped out and bellowed, "you're slowing down Jenny, gotta get moving!"
Geez thank you Richard Simmons for the inspiration.
Then he fell silent again. Every couple of moments he would say, "Hey Danna (her name is Donna,but my father adds a twang to her name, he always has) we should get one of these things, they look pretty easy!"
Then silence and stares. When my workout was almost over my dad observed, "you're sure sweating. Keep this up you'll be skinny in no time! Don't wanna overdo it though. You might put your leg or foot out!"
Well father dear...at this point I thought...unmentionables!
After the workout was done my dad was convinced he'd try this machine out. I began to say my prayers thinking that because I bought this used, the warranty wouldn't be any good when he wrecked the trainer.
He tried to jump on. "What's going on?" he yelled. "These feet things are moving?"
"That's the whole point of this trainer!" I explained.
My mother was laughing so hard at him he got annoyed. "Real funny Danna! Let's see you try!...You're in better shape than I thought. Good going!" he admitted.
My mom jumped on and had no problem at all. After a couple of minutes my dad said, "Let's go!"
And off they went.
I went into the kitchen to see what goodies they brought for my family. 3 piecrusts, relish, thousand Island dressing and 4 cans of PREM! Prem...I haven't ever eaten Prem! Oh well, I can't be too ungrateful!
Nothing else is newsworthy for today.
I leave you with this quote:
"Govern a family as you would cook a small fish: very gently."-Chinese Proverb.
Enjoy your day!
Jenny

2 comments:

Karen Schmautz said...

Ha! That is too funny. I would not be able to work out if anyone was sitting around staring at me and making comments. I have a hard time being seen at the community pool in my bathing suit. I usually keep my bathing suit cover-up on until I see some woman who looks worse than I do. If she is able to walk around in her bathing suit, I feel comfortable wearing my suit long enough to make a mad dash for the safety of the pool.

What kind of driver must your dad be if his first reaction is to give the finger to anyone who honks? Heh.

Karen Schmautz said...

Well...I read over my last comment and it didn't sound right. I didn't mean to imply that I only wear my suit long enough to get into the pool. I do not, repeat...DO NOT...skinny dip in our community pool. That is a vicious and scary rumor.

 
Designed by Lena