Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Zen and the Art of Moisturizing

I have become a person of rituals. I have both daytime and night time rituals. The night time ritual drives my beloved hubby berserk. He has timed me on two different occasions and Scott says it takes me 27 minutes to get ready for bed.
"How the heck does it take a person so long to get ready to go to sleep?" he asks.
"Well, my dear..." then I explain my ritual.
"Ridiculous if you ask me!" he answers. I didn't ask...
For those curious(for those who aren't I suggest you skip this post!) my night time ritual begins with careful teeth cleaning. I need to floss(which is difficult for those orthodontically challenged), brush and do my 1 minute mouth rinse, which is proven to reduce plaque. After my teeth cleaning and a quick pee (running water always activates the bladder) I begin my facial cleansing process. It begins with the cleanser. Not only do I cleanse, but I have recently learned that there is an art in using your fingers (in small circular motions) that stimulate the face. Why? Not quite sure, but I saw it somewhere (probably Oprah?). After cleansing, I apply a toner to my face. A simple, yet another effective procedure. Finally after the toner has set in I apply the moisturizer. I have an eye moisturizer that I apply carefully first. After this I apply my night time moisturizer. (You wouldn't want to apply the day time moisturizer, even though when I looked on the ingredients they were exactly the same!) Scott is convinced our family's wealth is held up in our bathroom vanity! My guess is he's right! I then wash my hands, remove my contact lenses, and stumble around for my eye glasses (not the half glasses, I have moved up in the world with a full set of eyewear!) Then I am almost ready for bed....I have another quick pee (too much information for most, I do apologize) spray 2(not 3) squirts of my night time scent of perfume and go to bed. So I exhaust myself every night. It works for me.
"Well why do you wear perfume to bed?"my husband asks (although he doesn't complain, wink, wink!)
"I think that if there was an accident or something I'd want to smell nice!" is how I always respond.
"I think that would be the least of your worries hun!" is his answer.
So I have concluded that I am downright strange. I admit it though.
My day time ritual is more simplistic. I stumble out of bed, depending on my mood I will opt for immediate contact wear or not. Then I silently (those who know my character knows that I don't immediately talk in the morning, because of a non-morning person type of mood disorder) make my way to the kitchen where I prepare breakfast for my crew. As I walk past the computer I turn it on (like clockwork every morning). I make the coffee and turn the tv on in the living room (I like to listen to the morning talk shows as I read the news on the computer). When the coffee is ready and the boys are done with their cereal (a usual breakfast staple in this household) I sit at the computer with my Jo and read the news and Google Brad Pitt for any newsworthy items that might have happened to this heartthrob within the last 24 hours. After awhile reality clicks in and I start the real days activities...
It might be noted that sometimes my husband will try and ruin my day time ritual. Last weekend he came downstairs and said, "Hey hun, the sun is shining why don't we sit and have our coffee on the deck this morning?"
"Gulp, sure?" I replied...the nerve of him...
Anyhow, rituals aside, nothing is newsworthy for this family. It is raining outside, hence the weather report of, "Wet, wet wet!"
One more unusual tidbit to add. Does anyone ever wonder how a dictionary is useful if the person has no idea how to spell a word? I tried to look up the word (excuse the spelling) ressurrect the other day and for the life of me I couldn't find the correct spelling. I finally resorted to my friend Google and got the correct spelling. ( I can't remember if that is correct or not!) Like I said useless piece of information I thought I would share!
Nothing else to report. I leave you with this quote for the day:
"The obstacle is the Path."-Zen Proverb.
Enjoy your day!
Jenny

1 comment:

Karen Schmautz said...

I am not a night person, so my night time rituals are very fast and semi-effective as I race to get into bed.

Growing up, the dictionary was literally our coffee table book of choice. My parents always told me to "Look it up" everytime I asked them how to spell a word. I stopped asking them how I could look it up if I didn't know how to spell it because they gave me "the look."

Now, I go to dictionary.com and it tries to help me spell a work if I don't spell it right. I love google.

 
Designed by Lena