Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Mamma Mia

My two year old has developed an Italian accent. No big deal if we were Italians, however, we aren't, so we find this humourous. He adds a short "a" sound at the end of every word. He now says, "dayee-ah" (daddy), "wha-ah" (what), "no-ah", "Shay-ah" (Shay), etc...We aren't quite sure where he picked up this from, but it could've been from Shay. Jonas had told us that Shay was teasing him at the dinner table, to which Shay responded, "no-ah!". Actually when Gavin says "dayee-ah" it almost sounds Punjabi. Maybe people will think that my 2 year old is a linguist and has expertise in a couple different languages. Cool!
Jonas had show and tell yesterday and brought a bullet lighter that once belonged to his great-grandfather (Oma's daddy). He stood up in front of the class (according to his teacher) and took great pride in telling the origin of the lighter.
"This bullet was turned into a light maker thing!"he began."My daddy's grampa used the bullet to kill a bad guy in the 2nd War!" The class began to "ohh" and "aah".
"Cool hey" he smiled as he showed off the infamous "bullet" that was used to kill bad guys! Actually the bullet was never used to kill anyone (I hope), but Jonas took advantage of his imagination to create a story. My little storyteller. I hope the teacher wasn't too offended about the talk of killing bad guys and such.
Seamus is a child of completely different nature, as I have previously mentioned. This morning Jonas was dawdling and getting ready to leave for the bus. Seamus was growing impatient. He does not like to be late for anything and is extremely organized.
"Mommy, we're not going to be late are we?" he nervously asked.
"We shouldn't be...Jose, hurry up!" I yelled.
"Oh mommy, I am beginning to stress out!" Shay said.
"Don't worry...Jonas!" I yelled again.
"Okay, okay, I'm coming. Does it matter if we miss the bus?" Jonas responded.
"Yes, Jose, it does cuz I don't have the van today" I replied.
"Oh...you can walk us to school then!" he shrugged.
Like I said two completely different apples cut from the same seed. (They managed to get to the bus on time.)
Anyhow nothing is new or exciting...except I got a comment from Rosie O'Donnell. For anyone interested check my comments on the previous post and you can see the comment. Not that most would care, but for some strange reason I do. I had commented on Rosie's Blog that my husband was ridiculing me for posting a comment.
"She'll never comment on your blog" Scott laughed. Well baby, the laugh is on you! I cannot wait til my husband comes in tonight and I will show him the comment. It proves that the wife is always right! (just joking)
I must leave now and get ready to pick Jonas up from kindergarten. I asked Shay who he played with yesterday and he answered, "no one mommy...I was too busy running during recess!" Talk about being motivated. I asked Jonas how many laps he did yesterday, "just what I was 'posed to do..3!" he shrugged. Who would have thought they are brothers?
I leave you with a thought for the day:
"Each of us literally chooses, by his way of attending to things, what sort of world he shall appear to himself to inhabit."-William James.
Enjoy your day!
Jenny

2 comments:

Karen Schmautz said...

When my daughter was young she couldn't pronounce her "R's".

She kinda sounded like she was fwom New Yowk. My mom was vewy afwaid that she would not lewn to speak cowwectly.

I assuwed hew that since I was homeschooling hew, she had nothing to feaw.

Heh!

lightfeather said...

Kids are hilarious! When mine was an itty bitty, I always got a kick out of her accent. I'm anglo, her daddy, Hispanic, but her primary caregiver at the early childhood center that I directed, was black. She ended up with the black dialect coming through very strongly. Beans and rice for dinner but a strong hankerin' for hocks! Made a whole lot of folks giggle.

 
Designed by Lena