Friday, January 28, 2005

If it looks like an 's' and sounds like an 's', isn't it an 's'?

Yesterday's letter of the day was "Z".(Zoo, zit, zaboomafoo, zero..) In school they were working on the letter "s". Kelly (Alana's mom) was in the classroom yesterday. She watched as Josey did his "s" from the bottom and worked his way to the top of the "s". "Jonas, you need to start at the top and work your way to the bottom of the letter" she instructed. Jonas again started from the bottom and worked his way to the top. "But Jonas, to do the letter 's' you need to start from the top and work your way to the bottom," she explained once again. "You already told me that ",he answered with the 'Josey' grin from ear to ear. "Can you do it?" Kelly questioned. "Yeah",Jonas answered and demonstrated how easy it was for him to start from the top, "but I like starting the 's' from the bottom up!"
Does it really matter how he does the 's'? If it looks like an 's', and he can recognize what the letter is, why should someone have to start from the top to make the letter 's'. It stressed Kelly out that Jonas won't do the 's' the school way. I think my attitude didn't help matters either. "As far as I am concerned, if Jonas can recognize the letter and how it sounds, and can print it the way it is supposed to look, I am not concerned that he isn't printing it from top to bottom" I answered matter of factly. She didn't know what to say...(and by the way she isn't the teacher, so there! Just joking!)
Our visit with Wendy is going very good. We haven't done anything of importance, except drink coffee, watch tv and visit.(welcome to our lives!) Gavin is now hooked on radishes. I can thank his Oma for his newfound addiction. I realize I should buy them more often, because everyone (except Jonas and I) like radishes, but I can't stand the smell of them...
Seamus got a perfect score on his spelling test and we are very proud of how well he does in school. Jonas is going to visit his friend "Rambo" sometime this weekend. His real name is Joey, but everyone calls him Rambo. He is a little blonde boy, that is shaped identically to Josey, and has all the same attitude that our Jonas has.
We are going to go swimming and bowling this weekend.(I will get over my 'bowling shoe' phoebia I hope). My parents are coming for dinner on Saturday, so it will be nice for all of us to have a visit. They have gone today to a funeral in Kitimat. "It's gettin' pretty scary, "my dad commented "all my old buddies are dropping off like flies!"(The joys of growing old!)
Anyways the weather is wet and mild. It feels like spring has sprung. (but are we that lucky?)
I leave you with this quote for the day:
"The most certain sign of wisdom is a continued cheerfulness..."-Michel de Montaigne
Man, I must be pretty, damn wise!
Have a great day!
Jenny

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena