Wednesday, January 26, 2005

From "A - Z"

I haven't posted in a couple of days. Wendy arrived Monday evening, and we have had a good visit thus far. Gavin is still a little leary, but hopefully in the next few days he will warm up to her a bit more.
I volunteered in Jonas' class yesterday. I enjoy spending time with the kindergartens. Everyone is amazed with the whole "braces" things. It's kind of funny, because a couple of the kids don't want to stare at this "grownup" who is wearing metal on her teeth. One girl (Alyssa) didn't want to be rude and stare at me. So she proceeded to talk to me (while not making eye contact) about teeth. "My mom has some brown teeth,but mostly they are yellow." "Oh", I replied "she must have some colourful looking teeth, heh?" (I inconspicuosly tried to look at her mom's teeth after school, but couldn't figure out the colour: "good thing")
Mrs. Vidal, Jonas' kindergarten teacher, did one month testing while I was helping. We were sitting at same table when it was Josey's turn to be tested. She would hold up different flash card with the letter of the alphabet. She held up a "Z", Jonas replied "A"; she held up a "J", Josey replied "P". All the while, big smile on his face (aka the Josey grin), and full of character. After class Mrs. Vidal informed me that he was a little weak in his letters.
When we got home (I quickly went to Walmart and purchased flash cards and a kindergarten book), I pulled out a flash card (J) and asked Josey what it was. "That's a 'J', " he replied. "Well why didn't you answer correctley Josey," I proclaimed. "Hmm, I dunno!" Later in the day while we were practising our letters Jonas asked me when he was able to learn how to read. "That is why we are studying our letters, Jonas. Words are made up of letters!". "Oh, that's what letters are for" he replied.
I spoke to Mrs. Vidal today and she said that there are 4 boys in the class that purposely don't answer correctly. "You know, "she said "Jonas is a character." (Oh really, I wasn't aware...)
Anyways I hope I can teach Jonas the importance of learning. The frustrating part about this whole situation is that he is such a smart boy, but lacks motivation. If he doesn't want to do something, well he won't do it.
Well nothing else is really exciting. The weather is wet, but not "wet, wet!. It is just like spring outside. I wish it would stay like that. We are going to venture to Walmart this afternoon (aren't we an exciting bunch). Besides that we are all content to do nothing much of anything...
I leave you with the quote:
"We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. "-H.L. Mencken
Enjoy your day!
Jenny




No comments:

 
Designed by Lena