Friday, November 10, 2006

Opening Doors


We were very excited to get a phone call from the preschool yesterday to tell us that there was a one day opening for Gavin. The owner was a little unsure if we wanted to take the opening as it was only one day but we jumped at the opportunity.
Gavin was equally as excited. He phoned his Grandma and Oma yesterday to share his news.
So tonight we were going over his manners. Gavin says his "thank you's" and "pleases" but many times he has been known to say "gimme have" when he wants you to get him something.
"Mommy, gimme have a cookie?
Another one liner he says is, "what the heck is that?"
So needless to say I was giving him a quick overhaul on what was appropriate to say and what wasn't tonight.
"So Gav remember to say thank you and Please!" I said.
He nodded.
"So if you want a certain toy what will you say?" I questioned.
"Gimme have that toy, pease!" he said.
I struggled not to smile. "No sweetie you will say, may I please have that toy!"
"Okay." he nodded.
I didn't want to stress my poor sweet three year old anymore so I thought that was enough going over his manners.
"So Gavin you know your manners?" I said in a cheery voice.
"Mommy what the heck is a manners?" he said.
Scott started to laugh.
"Gavin will you remember to say your please and thank yous?" I asked.
"I dunno."he said.
Well I am trying!! My mom bought him a new outfit to wear to his first day of preschool. Tonight we packed his snack in his new spiderman lunch bag his Grandma bought him and we put in his indoor shoes in his little backpack.
Both Scott and I were feeling a little emo. A good kind of emo.
Scott said to me tonight, "you mean you don't stay with him for 2 and a half hours...he's on his own?"
"Yeah. I think he'll be okay but I know that I am going to shed a couple of tears!"I replied.
I love my job as a SAHM. There are days when I am overwhelmed and wishing I can take some holiday time or sick leave, but I have been given the most amazing opportunity by being able to stay at home with my 3 boys. I realize that as my youngest baby is growing up before my eyes, my life is changing. Opportunities are in front of me. Change is good, but still it is the unknown that frightens me.
Sometimes I think why when I am perfectly content in my life would I want to go back to school and get a career? Other times I think if I have problems organizing my simple life now I cannot imagine what will happen if you throw in mommy student + wife/lover, mother, housekeeper, cook....
I feel I have been so blessed to have been able to be a SAHM , but there is another chapter in my life that is ready to be opened.
So 2007 is the year of the Student Mommies. I personally know 2 friends going back to school next September (one who will be my partner in crime in the same program)and one friend who is almost at her educational goal.
So as I send my little boy into the doors of his new classroom and into his new role as a preschool student, I am not only opening the doors for him but for me as well.
Good night!
Jenny

4 comments:

Tanya said...

Amen sister!

As our kids grow up and move into school and being more independent...we to need to move our lives in different directions.

I'm so excited, but soooo nervous as well. But I think our kids (especially the older ones) will be proud of us for going back to school and achieving our own goals. Its time for us to start doing our own thing. We've both been very blessed to be able to stay home and raise our own kids. I thank God that I've been able to do that...even if its been very hard financially at times...He's always gotten us through.

We're worth it to do this for ourselves...yes, its going to be hard...I will go from being with Rowyn everyday to not seeing him for nine hours of the day...I'm sure it'll be a huge adjustment for me...but one that I feel at peace about.

Its going to be a great year, and I'm lucky to share it with you, even if we'll be in different career paths...we can always do lunch!!

BTW...Have fun at preschool Gavin!

Christy said...

He is so cute!! That is so exciting for little Gavin. He will have a blast and Mommy will have a nice little break.Which all sahm's deserve!

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

It certainly seems to be going around doesn't it??? Us Mommies are growing up too.

How very exciting for you and Gav too!

Hugs

Julie

Lucy said...

Hey sister

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww isnt it weird how fast they are growing up. Your children are beautiful and embrace every little time with them. I cant believe mine are going to be 10 and 13, and they grow up too fast. Your a great lady sister!

 
Designed by Lena