Monday, January 09, 2006

Good, not bad, Luck...

My parents were in a car accident yesterday afternoon. Fortunately they walked out of it unscathed. It was snowing when they set off from Terrace back to Kitimat. They hit a patch of slush going up a hill and went off a bank and rolled down a 40 foot embankment!! Both were frazzled, but safe and sound. The only reason my father was wearing his seatbelt (he generally doesn't!!!) was because he had got a fine from the police last week for not wearing his seatbelt. That policeman saved his life!!
The police had to drive them to my house so they could stay for the night. When my parents were in the back of the paddy wagon my dad was fumbling around trying to find his seatbelt and asked the policeman "where's the seatbelt?" His reply, "Oh...don't worry about it! We're safe!"
"Okay, "said my dad, "as long as you don't write me up for this!"
I couldn't believe that in an actual RCMP vehicle they told my dad not to worry about wearing a seatbelt that clearly was proven to save his life only 1 hour before!! Unimaginable...
Today I had to drive my parents around town getting their insurance claim started and getting them a rental car for the time being. We had to return to the Impound to get my dad's wallet from the wreck of the truck. My mom decided that she would clean out the truck so I helped her. I was throwing a bunch of stuff (which included the 4 foot long sledgehammer!! and an axe!! Good thing those didn't knock them in the head!) into a garbage bag when I noticed a large magnifying glass with a handle that was attached with a rubber elastic to one of the knobs of the console.
"What's the magnifying glass for?" I asked my mom.
"Oh...that...it's so dad can read!" she responded nonchalantly.
"Read??...You mean...words on signs? I hope he wasn't using that when you guys had your accident!" I exclaimed.
"Oh don't be smart!!" she answered.
Smart? In all honesty I was being serious. I should take a picture of this magnifying glass contraption. I do hope that it wasn't used to see what words were written on signs!!
All humour aside I am so thankful that my parents are safe and sound. (well maybe not of the mind!) When my dad came back to our house last night he said, "I have the worst luck Jenny! I just can't believe how bad my luck is!"
"Bad?" I responded. "I'd say you have pretty good luck! You both could have been killed or someone seriously injured."
"Never thought of it that way!" he smiled.
Say a prayer for your loved ones!
Good Night!
Jenny

1 comment:

Crystal said...

What a blessing that they were not hurt worse......I personally don't believe in luck...God protected them in a dangerous time because it was not their time to go........he always uses these experiences to stretch us......you gave him a great answer......its all about the perpective and yes they were fortunate that nothing worse happened.

 
Designed by Lena