Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Back Then...

I stole this blog topic from a fellow blogger (I hope he doesn't mind too much!!)
Top 10 things I miss from my childhood:

1) Summer holidays. Although we didn't travel too much as a family, it was so nice to be able to sleep in as long as you wanted to. I wasn't a morning person back then either!!
2) Playing Barbies!! My friend Emma and I were so "into" Barbie dolls. We spent countless hours just playing with our barbies in her little travel trailer in her front yard. My mother in-law has an extensive Barbie doll collection and when I am visiting with her I go into her "Barbie doll room" and think of how fun it would be to open the barbies and dress them up.
3) Matinees. My brother, sister and I used to spend every Saturday afternoon going to a matinee. The features usually were older shows, but it opened our eyes to the world of film!! (Gotta love Abbott and Costello movies)
4) Spending afternoons camped out on the river bed. My family and I used to go for day trips to the river where my dad would fish and we could play all day by the river. We would have a cookout on the old Coleman stove. We would build forts and fortresses amongst the driftwood. At the end of the day we would slump into bed, too tired to bathe, with remnants of the sandy river bed fallen onto the bed.
5) Going to the corner store. I would love to go to the corner store and buy a bag of salt and vinegar chips, and of course Popeye cigarettes. It was so fun to pretend to smoke??? (My how times have changed!!) I also remember the Fun Dips. The candy that you stuck in the sugary powder. Pure sugar and pure enjoyment.
6) I remember the smells of my youth. If I smell "Jergens Hand Moisturizer" regular scent I am taken back to my younger years. If I smell Playdough I instantly remember spending hours creating "stuff" out of it. If I smell Noxema I remember my dear Aunt Julie coming to visit. If I smell new crayons I remember the joy I felt when I spent colouring a picture.
7) School Clothes and Supplies Shopping. It was so exciting to pile into the car and go "shopping" for school. I loved buying new clothes and the supplies. When I got home I tried on my different outfits and organized my new supplies. It was always so exciting. (I went today with my boys it wasn't so exciting footing the bill!!)
8) Best Friends Forever.I remember poking my finger while my best friends poked their fingers and exchanged our blood to be blood sisters forever. (I surely hope kids aren't doing this nowadays!!) I truly believed with my whole heart and soul that my best friends would be me friends forever. It was naive, but I do miss the comraderie.
9) Duran Duran and the music of the 80's. I still listen to this music so maybe this one doesn't count as something I miss. I remember being so taken with Roger Taylor and Simon Le Bon that I had my bedroom plastered in posters of them. Maybe this is what I miss?
10) Saturday morning cartoons. In my day we didn't have a cartoon channel. It was so exciting to sleep in a little on Saturday morning and get up and watch cartoons (followed in the afternoon by a matinee)...

Well folks that's it...
Enjoy your day!
Jenny

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena