Sunday, August 07, 2005

And They're Off

My parents have to travel to Vancouver so my Dad can get his eye worked on. (Probably explains the reason he flips the bird to everyone!) They came over last night to discuss what time I was to take them to the airport.
"I think 8 am is a good time to drive us to the airport" my dad said in a matter of fact tone.
"What time is your flight?" I asked.
"10 am" my mom replied.
"Uh dad, isn't 8 a little early? We only have a 5 minute drive to the airport! How 'bout you phone me at 8 am and we'll leave at 10 to 9?" I said.
"Uh, okay...." my dad said somberly.
"But don't phone me before 8 am, because Scott is just getting to sleep and it'll be hard for him to get back to sleep if he gets woken up. Okay?" I tried to set down the rules.
Both my parents nodded.
This morning the phone rang at 7:25 am.
"Hello?" I muttered.
"Hey Jen, just phoning to wake you up and tell you when to pick us up!" said my mother with my dad's voice bellowing in the background. "Pick us up at 8:30 and that'll give us enough time to check in. We need to try and get better seats!"
Better seats? Oh right, this is what they do with every flight they take. I just don't understand how one row up is going to make a difference. So much for the "leave at 10 to 9" plan. Oh well...
"Sounds great!" I replied.
At the rescheduled time I drove all the way next door to pick up my parents. With some difficulty we got their luggage into the van. My dad went to the middle seat of the minivan. He was sitting for a couple of minutes when he looked over and shuddered, "Oh, hey little guy... I didn't realize Gavin was with us?"
"Dad did you bring the cell phone charger?" I asked
"Yep" he replied.
My mom finally came into the van, after spending a couple of moments making sure the house was locked. We were off!!
"These brakes sound squeaky" I commented. "I need to get them checked"
"You know we increased our coverage for them with the contract!" he replied.
"Huh. Brakes are covered? I don't quite understand..." I questioned.
"Always has been" he replied.
"Brakes?" I reiterated.
"Yes...braces!" he answered curtly.
My mom and I both looked at each other and laughed. I couldn't even bother setting the record straight.
Within 5 minutes we were at the airport. My mom was giving me instructions for the house and the mail.
"Don't let the mail sit all day!" she instructed.
She opened the door and was ready to get out when she gasped, "the cell phone charger! I forgot the cell phone charger!"
"Danna, you forgot the cell phone charger!" my dad angrily asked.
"Dad, I asked you if you remembered the charger and you said yes. Why did you say yes?" I questioned.
"Umm, "he sheepishly replied, "sometimes I answer yes if I don't quite hear what you're asking?"
I guess it's like flipping the bird when someone honks the horn! I just shook my head. I went back to their house to retrieve the charger. I laughed as I was walking out of their house. Written on a big piece of yellow paper in black bold letters were the words, "JENNY DON'T FORGET TO SHUT THE DOOR". The instructions didn't even say lock, but shut. I am glad my parents have such great faith in me.
Within 10 minutes I had returned to the airport with the cell phone charger.
And they're off...

Enjoy your day!
Jenny

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Don"t forget to shut the door? Don't let the mail sit there all day? How about, "hey mom and dad, don't forget to look after the fish, cause they'll die if you don't!" Silly parents!!

jon said...

I feel sorry for my wife when we fly. I hate flying to the point of needing valium to do it. This leaves me fairly useless by the time we get to the airport. Wife usually tells me to stand here, close your mouth and stop drooling. She ends up having to do all that pre flight stuff.

 
Designed by Lena