Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Blue...bluer...bluest

I just finished cleaning the house. Not on my own accord I might add. My husband gave me a slight hint last night.
"Oh, wouldn't it be nice if the kitchen floor was clean!"he commented. (I swear, exact words from his lovely mouth.)
"Yeah, wouldn't it!" I responded.
So I cleaned the house from top to bottom today. As my added touch I left the mop bucket with a couple extra drops of 'Pinesol' right by the stairs. I will get rid of the bucket 10 minutes before he returns home, but the "smell" of a clean house will be overwhelming when he walks through the door. No kidding, this trick works like a charm and Scott will be "thrilled". (no one ever answered me, but why do opposites attract?)
Scott and I were enjoying a cup of tea in the backyard last night, while perusing over Robert Bateman's Book of Birds. The mood was relaxing and tranquil. For half a moment at least. Gavin quickly noticed his parents from the bedroom upstairs (as he was trying to stuff batman thru a tiny hole in the screen window). He quickly joined us, only after removing his diaper and his shirt. (He did leave his socks on.) Pretty soon our other two yahoos decided to come and join the fun.
"A family tea party!" Seamus yelled enthusiastically.
"Exactly what we were planning!" I answered smiling.
We spent the rest of the evening looking at pictures of birds. I never would have imagined myself getting such joy and pleasure out of looking at pictures of birds while drinking a cup of tea. We also discussed colours. Seamus asked me what my favourite colour was and why?
"Blue!" I answered.
"Why?" he questioned.
"I dunno!" I said.
I do know, but I can't put words on why blue is my favourite. I know that when I think of blue I have a sense of calm. When I picture the blue sky I imagine serenity, peacefulness. When I look up to the sky on a beautiful day, the beauty of the blue sky represents an artist's canvas. A little bit of the unknown and known married as one. Ethereal, pretty and delicate. These are some of the words that I can use to describe the color blue. However, I can only answer,when asked why blue is my favourite color, with "it just is".
One of my favourite poems is from Richard Bach's "A Bridge Across Forever":
Dawn's peaceful, luminous blue
Intensified with the day
As did happiness.
Blue...bluer...bluest,
White puffs of delight,
Joy overflowing.

Until sunset
Wrapped us in tender pink
And we fused in a
Passionate magenta goodbye,
Earth-soul and Cosmic-soul
Bursting with beauty.

When night came,
A baby moon
Laughed sideways in the dark.
I laughed back and thought:

Partway across the world
Your sky
Is filled with this same
Golden laughter,
And hoped that you,
Twinkling Blue Eyes,
Saw and heard,

So that somewhow we three
Were joined in our own gladness,
Each in our own space,
Together apart,
Distance meaningless.

And I slept
In a world
Full of smiles.-Richard Bach.

I absolutely love this poem. My husband and I had good intentions of using part of the poem in our wedding vows. We wrote out the line we wanted the Justice of the Peace to say, but it wouldn't work out. Our JP started out with "Blue...bluer...bluest" in a Marg Simpson voiceover. Scott and I got the giggles and chose to forgo those words from Richard Bach. Sometimes I lean over to Scott and say (with a whiskey, cigarette and Marg Simpson voice) "Blue...bluer...bluest" and we both get the giggles.
So that's it for me today. I like the colour blue, could you have guessed?
I leave you with this thought for the day (because the words are so beautiful and true)
"And I slept
In a world
Full of Smiles."-Richard Bach.

Enjoy your day!
Jenny

2 comments:

Zube said...

Oh, I loooove Richard Bach!

Your kids have gorgeous names. :)

Karen Schmautz said...

Bee-utiful poem.

Your post reminded me of a bird I saw this morning and I don't know what it is. I will look it up and "smile" with my newfound knowledge...my kids think I'm a nerd for wanting to know the names of all the birds around here.

 
Designed by Lena