Monday, March 28, 2005

Of Mice and Easter

Well it is official today...I am no longer the parent of a baby! My baby just turned two! I feel sadness! I know that the baby days are only blissful memories... oh how time flies!
We had a great birthday celebration for Gavin. Gavin wasn't too interested in the festivities! He got a new trike equipped with cool flames (like those on Auntie Shari and Uncle Dug's car). He got some toys, a new pair of shoes, but the two presents that thrilled him the most were: the balloons, and a new kitten. We struggled for about half an hour to try and come up with the name of our newly aquired family member and here it is: Mozart! Last night I was playing with a toy of Gavin's (a keyboard) and my dad kept saying, "she's some kinda Mozart!" (although I must admit I can play a mean "London Bridge is Coming Down" on the keyboards).
Our Easter was another memorable event. Originally the Easter bunny was scheduled to plan a scavenger hunt in the backyard, but due to the "pissy" mood of Mother Nature a rainstorm vetoed our plans. We had a scavenger hunt in the dining room and living room of our house. I actually am glad that it wasn't outside. It would have been way too complicated for the boys. The treats and treasures were hidden mostly in plain view and still they were overlooked! Last night we stumbled across a couple that were not found! Overall, it was fun;however, our annual "Colouring of the Eggs" was a complete FIASCO!! Gavin found it amusing to place both of his hands into each of the green and blue dyes, unbeknownst to me!! Next thing you know I was covered in handprints from head to toe. 2 seconds later, Seamus spilled the pink dye all over the table. Scott yelled (unmentionables) and Seamus ran upstairs slammed his bedroom door and knocked a picture off the wall. Jonas got upset over all the commotion (which I cannot blame him) and stomped off. We knew it was bad when I opened the door and Gypsy wouldn't come into the house. I bet she was thinking, "no bloody way I'm going into this house!" This egg experience lasted a whole 10 minutes;however, we did manage to colour a dozen eggs in that little time. To top it off, after the dust had settled Scott and I were trying to enjoy a cup of coffee and hash over the "Colouring of the Eggs" when we heard a couple of "mms" and "crunch, crunchies". Scott went around the corner into the dining room and Gavin (freshly bathed and scrubbed) was helping himself to a couple of coloured eggs, shells and all! He wasn't eating the shells of the eggs! He was leaning over the table and Spitting the shells on the dining room floor! I bet you he would love to go to that bar in Whitefish where you spit the peanut shells on the floor! I guess you can't take the redneck outta the boy! It was a great Easter, nothing out of the movies, but real fun family stuff!
A couple of nights ago when I was on the computer I glanced over my shoulder and "Holy Crap" I saw a MOUSE scurrying through my kitchen. I screamed and the rest of what happened is only a blur. A few seconds later I found myself standing on a chair in the dining room screaming. I looked over and all 3 of my boys were looking up at me.
"It's okay mommy!" Seamus said, trying to be comforting.
"Yeah it's okay,"Jonas replied, "give me a broom and BAM!! I'll kill it dead!"
Gavin only stared up at his mommy probably thinking "isn't my Mommy supposed to be protecting me?"
I couldn't sleep all night. I tossed and turned, thought about mice with every waking moment. When morning came around I was tired and a little scared. Scott arrived promptly at 7 am and my heart began to race as I heard him approach our bedroom door. When he opened the door I greeted him with tears and "Oh Scott..."
"Oh my God, what's wrong?!" he stammered. Clearly his wife was distraught with grief. Her eyes were puffy from lack of sleep, her voice was quivering...
"Scott, I saw (sob, sob, chortle!) a MOUSE!" I answered.
"A mouse? What the f*@#k? I thought your dad was in an accident or something! Don't do that to me again!" he lectured. Then I said to my LOVING husband, "well aren't you full of kind words! I take back every nice thing I HAVE EVER said to YOU in our time together! (it sounds extreme but at the time I was upset!)
"Hmm!" I added, and Scott replied, "OH Jen.." We left it at that!
That afternoon Scott set up a few mouse traps and has been successful in his trappings. It has become almost a game. I overheard him say to himself, "that bloody mouse ate the peanut butter! Well I'll fix him this time!" The whole scenario reminded me of Elmer Fudd and that "Rathcal Rabbit!" (aren't we a normal bunch of people?!) I must say now that we have a kitten I feel somewhat more secure! Why, I have no idea?!
As previously noted the weather has been "Piss Pour". Pretty catchy weather terms I am inventing. Rain, rain and more rain is in our 3 day forecast.
The boys have had an uneventful spring break. We have a whack of homework that needs to get done, by (shit!!) tomorrow. Jonas has done a couple of practise sheets,but he won't be thrilled to spend a "good" hour on homework tomorrow. Seamus thrives on doing homework. His study habits are excellent and it still puzzles me where he learned them from. I guess his Dad's organizational (hmm, cough "anal retentiveness") skills have been passed on to him. Jonas is pure Slezak through and through, "I'll do it...tomorrow". Lucky for him tomorrow never does come! Gavin we haven't quite figured out! A little bit of a loose cannon, or daredevil. Which brings me to the next tale...
The other afternoon I was watching "General Hospital" and was quite intrigued at the whole Sonny mob-warfare scenario. All of a sudden, I heard BOOM, BANG, BOOM-BOOM, BANG! coming down the stairs. Oh no...the sound of a fallen child! Quickly I rushed to the stairway and Gavin was lying face down on the play room floor crying. His tonka truck ride on was laying beside. I quickly assessed him and he was fine. I couldn't figure it out, until Jonas explained that Gavin took the ride on and rode down the stairs.
"He was giving me that mischevous (Jonas says it this way) look mommy!" he explained. "He was smiling and riding the stairs until the last one and BOOM (I also heard a BANG, BOOM-BOOM, BANG!) the tonka flipped over! We were all a little in shock over the situation. I removed all ride on toys from the house and they are now all outside. He is our little "Evil Kenevil".
This week was pretty uneventful, other than the mice, "The Easter Egg Fiasco", "Our little Evil Kenevil" and life in general. The week has taken a toll on me. I have a cold and am pretty rundown. All that damn dieting! (I have lost another couple of pounds!)
I leave you know with a thought for the day:
A mouse does not rely on just one hole."-Plautus
Well that blows my theory to bits. So much for the steel wool and the holes!
Enjoy your day!
Jenny

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena